Phillip Jerrod Heath is popularly known as Phil Heath. He is more popular as The Gift and he works as an American IFBB professional bodybuilder. He is the fourth time winner of Mr Olympia since 2011. Since his childhood, he had been an athletic person. He loved to play basketball when he was in high school.
Interest in bodybuilding:
He first got interested in bodybuilding in 2002, but he started doing it professionally in 2005. He got the entry in IFBB pro championship. He also won at the National Physique Committee and since then there has been a success only.
In the year 2014 Phil Heath outlasted his rival Kai Greene third time in a row and claimed his fourth consecutive Mr Olympia title on Saturday night. It was the 50th edition of Joe Weider’s Olympia in Las Vegas.
Phil Heath was born on 18th December 1979 and he stands 5 feet 9 inches tall. He weighs 113 kg.
Phil Heath Workout Routine and Diet Plan
Heath does follow an extensive workout routine in the gym. The schedule lasts for 2 hours. His guide in the gym is Hany Rambod, the famous person who had devised the FST-7 system. He believes in training each body part two times. This theory was supported by bodybuilding legends like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ronnie Coleman. The training is split in four days for weightlifting and a rest day in between. A day is dedicated for cardio and the weekends with a rest day.
Phil Heath Workout Routine
This is how the gym routine looks like:
- First day – this is the day for leg training, parts like quads, hamstring and calves are taken care of. It starts with the stiff-legged deadlift and lying leg curls in four sets of 8 to 10 reps. then comes 7 sets of seated leg curls with 10 to 12 reps. next standing calf raises and leg press calf raises are done in 4 sets with 15 to 20 reps. seated calf raises are done in 7 sets with 10 to 12 reps. leg extension and front squats are done in 4 sets with 10 to 12 reps. leg press is done in 3 sets with 12 reps. hack squats end the day in 7 sets of 7 reps.
- Second day- this day the exercises are based on chest and biceps. So it starts with 4 sets of dumbbell incline press and dumbbell incline fly with 10 to 12 reps. then hammer strength bench press is done in 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps.7 sets of pre decks are followed with 10 to 12 reps. 3 sets of triceps pushdown, dips and close grip bench press is done with 10 to 12 reps. 7 sets of lying triceps extension is done in 10 to 12 reps to end these days exercise routine.
- Third day – this day is a rest day.
- Fourth day – for back and biceps the exercises are done on this day.3 sets of wide-grip pull-ups and power grip chip ups are done with 10 to 12 reps. next 4 sets of T bar rows and bent over rows are done with 12 reps. one arm dumbbell rows are done in 3 sets with 12 reps. straight arm pulldowns are done in 7 sets with 10 to 12 reps. standing EZ bar curls, hammer curls, and concentration curls are done in 3 sets with 12 reps each. Hammer strength preacher curls are done at the end in 7 sets with 8 to 10 reps.
- Fifth day – this day is dedicated to the improvement of shoulder and traps. It starts with Smith Machine military press dumbbell front raise, upright rows all done in 4 sets with 10 to 12 reps. dumbbell lateral raise is done in 7 sets of 10 to 12 reps. dumbbell shrugs and barbell shrugs are done in 4 sets with 12 reps each.
- Sixth day– this day is for cardio exercise.
- Seventh-day – full day is for rest.
Phil Heath Diet Plan
As Heath does high volume heavy training, he needs an appropriate amount of food. As a basketball player Heath used to take two to three meals a day but now as he became a bodybuilder, he needs to eat seven meals per day to keep up the strength.
His meal portion and content differ due to his daily schedule, before and after the season he takes different amount and content in his meal. This happens because the meal amount decides if he is going to lose or gain muscle. It makes him ready for a competition. When he is not preparing for any competition the meal gets much different.
These are the seven meals for his pre-contest diet:
- Meal 1-2.5 cups of egg white,1 cup oatmeal,12 oz white chicken breast
- Meal 2- 1 cup brown rice, steamed vegetables and 12 oz beef tenderloin
- Meal 3- one medium sweet potato
- He takes naNO Vapor HardcorePro Series and pre-workout he takes naNOX91 serving. After a workout, he takes Nitro Isolate 65 Pro series.
- Meal 4- 12 oz beef tenderloin, medium sweet potato and 12 oz white chicken breast
- Meal 5- One cup of brown rice and 12 oz of halibut or tilapia
- Meal 6-steamed broccoli and 13 oz halibut or tilapia
- Meal 7-steamed broccoli
When Heath is not preparing for any competition then the meals get different. This is his everyday diet and this diet benefits him in many ways.
- Meal 1- 8 egg whites, 8 oz top sirloin steak, Lawry’s steak rub seasoning,1 and ½ cup oatmeal, 1 serving of Vitakic 300 mg, 500 mg vitamin C, and 500 mg fish oil. This meal is taken at 7 am. This is the first thing he has in the morning as this time is a key time for gaining mass. Eggs get digested easily and taking protein with the source which is slower indigestion like sirloin makes it time-efficient.
- Meal 2- 12 oz sirloin steak, Lawry’s steaks rub seasoning, 1 ½ cup white rice and 1500 mg glucosamine. Beef is great for strength support, Creatine plays a great role in muscle contraction. Glucosamine helps in joint recovery. So Heath can train hard and for a longer period of time.
- Meal 3-12 oz ground turkey, 1tbsp grapeseed oil,1 tbsp chilli powder,1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp basil, 12 oz baked potato, 2 tbsp ketchup. This time the protein source is different so the additional calories of two whole eggs help trigger new growth. A different source of protein and dairy makes sure that the different amino acid makeup helps the body.
- Meal 4-12 oz boneless skinless chicken, 2 tbsp honey barbecue sauce, 12 oz baked yam,1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 serving of vitakic. The seasoning helps the food to get down which helps in growth. This is the post-workout meal and is very important. The whole food meal keeps the muscle protein synthesis elevated for a long time.
- Meal 5-10 oz teriyaki chicken,1 ½ cup white rice, 3 12 oz diet cokes, 1 Philadelphia roll, 1 cream salmon role, 2 large tempura fried shrimp, 2 pieces hamachi yellowtail sushi, 6 piece salmon sushi, 6 piece sake salmon sushi and mixed salad. This is the meal for offseason. This time growth is important and not a loss. Fats of fried tempura and cream cheese will the level of testosterone up and that makes the muscle grow.
- Meal 6-1 serving call tech hardcore pro series, 1 serving nitro isolate 65 pro series, 500 mg vitamin C, 500 mg fish oil. Faster digestion of white rice has an anabolic effect on insulin boost. This insulin helps in muscle grow so the insulin growing capability is more important for Heath.
- Meal 7- 12 oz tilapia, 1 tbsp grapeseed oil, Lawry’s lemon pepper seasoning, broccoli as much as possible, 500 mg of Vitamin C and fish oil each with nutrient values based on 2 cups. Broccoli is good fibre so no need to calculate the calorie, the phytochemical in it helps the estrogen levels down and thus testosterone level is maximized.